Monday, January 17, 2011

styling class: week 1, post 1

For my last semester at Rice, I decided to enroll in a second fashion course my university was offering.  A large part of the semester's homework is to keep up this blog - to keep track of our personal style.  
Those that are well aware of my fashion obsession know that I started getting into the blogging world in the summer of 2009 with a personal style blog I shared with my equally fashion-addicted best friend, Jen - now abandoned at secondskins.  In high school, we used to talk every night and plan out outfits for the next day and probably spent half our lives searching for the perfect prom dress (that neither of us actually ended up finding).  She still keeps her highly successful style blog at jennifhsieh, which serves as a constant reminder for me to get back into the blogging myself as opposed to simply reading a shitload of blogs daily.  Luckily, I get to ease back into the blogging world with this class. :)
I find it incredibly admirable how fashion bloggers are able to take a picture of themselves daily looking absolutely flawless when more than half the time I'm with no makeup, strolling around in a Rice t-shirt and jeans (especially since I hate denim).  Because I like to hold my photos to the same standards, my outfit posts might be a bit sparse.  An example of what I like my photos to look like (taken spring 2010):
wearing: [beige&white boyfriend cardigan/ny&company ($10)], [white emboridered tank/wetseal ($5)], [silver skinny belt/f21 ($2)], [pink satin skirt/f21 ($7)], [metallic platforms/target ($7)]
Meanwhile, I'll be filling up this blog with my inspirations, things I'm lusting after, rants on style, etc.  Despite the occasional compliment on what I'm wearing, I'm still discovering what exactly my personal style is.  Sometimes it frustrates me that I can't put a label on myself - because I'm bit boho, a bit prep, a bit feminine, a bit sophisticated, a bit minimalist, etc. - but I guess that makes my style all the more "personal" and unique.  I like to believe that I have a carte blanche in the way I dress, although sometimes restricted by what's socially accepted.  Hopefully, over the course of this semester, I'll have enough confidence to possess a true carte blanche. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment