Monday, January 24, 2011

styling class: week 2, post 2

For a second part of our assignment this week, we are supposed to find 3 style photos that we love and analyze them using the many approaches we were taught in class.  I'm not sure exactly what approach I use in identifying style that I like and dislike, but I imagine it to be a combination of focusing in on an item or two that I absolutely adore and generally loving the way the subject styled it.  With a good sense of style, even the ugliest trash bag can turn out to be amazing.  Likewise, the most beautiful garment could look abominable if styled carelessly.  It's really hard to limit my favorite style photos to just 3 - but I imagine 100 would take much longer and I'll be failing the rest of my classes. :P

Exhibition A: Olivia Palermo
She's a ignorant bitch on The City, but I can't deny that she's one of the reality stars that actually deserves all the attention she gets for her sense of style coughLaurenConradcough.  She's got impeccable taste in jewelry and accessories and always manages to pull off looking both interesting and put together.  First though t that came to mind was: ohmygod, I have never seen a striped shirt look better.  Then it was: got to have that necklace...and that ring!  I think the key to this outfit, or at least what works for me, is the assembly of the neutrals.  She was careful not to be too matchy-matchy, and somehow the colors and tones offset each other perfectly.  Jealous.

Exhibition B: Girl on all the pretty birds
I'm really digging the whole schoolgirl look lately - but it also annoys me when someone comes off as looking too much like a school girl.  It's like, yes, the whole thigh high socks, pleated mini skirts, plaid print, etc. is all in style, but you couldn't think of a more creative way of putting it together?  Which is precisely why I adore this photo.  At first I thought, oh look, there's a 20-something trying to fit back into grade school ag...THOSE SHOES!  What are those amazing things on her feet?  And then I fell in love with the whole outfit - from the stuffy shirt and conservative skirt to the French Beret, to the interesting choice of green belt, to the oversized briefcase, and those shoes.  Oh, those shoes.   A great mix-and-match of girly and edgy, in my opinion.

Exhibition C: Park Shin Hye in April 2010 Vogue Girl Korea Magazine
I am really digging Korean fashion. They always manage to look cutesy yet effortless yet completely put together.  Jealous.  I can't get over how well her shorts match her shoes, her socks match her blazer, her bowtie matches her shirt cuff, and the bowl cut and the straw hat just manage to top it off as the cutest ensemble ever.  I like all the items individually, but when put together like this - it blows my mind.  If only I wouldn't get the weirdest looks if dressed like this in the States.

Exhibition D: Yoon Eun Hye
Oh, Yoon Eun Hye, why do you always make me jealous of you?  Anyone else would probably look ridiculous wearing those horizontal striped thigh high socks, but I want to be like you, lounging around in what looks like an effortless, whimsical style.  I can't help but to love how a couple of gold chains and bangles, and those what would normally be quite unflattering socks just magically complete the oversized gray t-shirt.  Note to self: Dress this adorably when lounging around in dorm room.

Exhibition E:  Blair Waldorf and Serena van der Woodsen on Gossip Girl (S04E01)
I've followed Gossip Girl since it's series premiere, and I have to say it has been a major influence on my style.  I started buying the cutest headbands because they looked so amazing on Blair, and when she ditched headbands for college, I chopped my hair into a Tao Okamoto bowl cut.  Some naysayers say that the costume designers overdo the styling sometimes, such as Serena's outfit above.  I think that's precisely what makes their outfits so appealing.  The metallic cage dress under a seemingly normal gray blazer and plain beige oxfords is totally my idea of dressing down fancy clothes.  Blair is also extremely well accessorized to match her adorable dress.  I usually can't pick out what I like about most Gossip Girl outfits, except that they're very aesthetically-pleasing when looking as a whole.

Exhibition F: Susie Bubble
Oh, Susie Bubble.  Sometimes you are way too wacky for me.  Wacky enough that I almost stopped really following you for a year.  And then I saw this outfit, and now I obsessively stalk your blog again.  Are those NOT the most amazing pair of cargo pants ever?  And leave it to you, Susie Bubble, to find the most interesting striped shirt and embroidered slippers to top it off.  This outfit screams casual, whimsical perfection. 

So that was a lot more than 3 photos.  Time to get back to stat homework.  Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment