Sunday, January 23, 2011

styling class: week 2, post 1

This week's assignment comes in two parts - the first of which is to dress our body shape, as dictated by traditional fashion views in magazines such as Lucky and InStyle.  A while ago, I picked up Clinton Kelly and Stacy London's What Not to Wear book for fun - to see what is generally accepted as good style.  My body shape fit somewhere between "Petite and Curvy" and "Petite and Athletic".  I like to think of dressing myself in a less general way - based on what I know of my body, and what I like and dislike about it.
  • Having a 34C - 27 - 36 proportion puts me at a "not quite hourglass" shape.  If I wear shapeless tops, I most likely look 20 pounds heavier than I actually am, so I generally try to accentuate my waist when choosing outfits.  
  • I don't have the nicest legs, and would certainly love to work off a lot of the upper thigh fat I have, but I generally like my legs mid-thigh down.  They're pretty shapely and athletic looking, and I love wearing miniskirts and trouser shorts to show them off.
  • I love my feet.  I abuse them so much by wearing painful heels, but they really fit and look nice in any kind of shoe my size.  Expect to see many awesome-looking shoes. :)
  • I hate my flabby arms.  When it's not unbearably hot outside, I try to conceal them with a loose sleeve.  
  • Some girls might envy my bra size, but I much rather have Kate Moss's chest.  I can hardly wear anything revealing and delicate in the chest area (if I can even fit in them), and being rather conservative and not wanting to look like a hooker, it's rather hard playing down my chest while still wearing something flattering.  V-necks have become a very good friend of mine, especially since I have a rather short neck as well.
  • My butt and upper thighs area = where the extra pudge goes.  I hate wearing super tight pants and shorts for this reason.  Most magazines would suggest a dark wash pair of bootcut jeans to balance my proportions - but I hate denim and work pants.  I have so far tried skirts, trouser shorts, looser pants, and exercise. :)
With all of that said, I had my super stylish suitemate snap several photos of me dressed up in a typical uniform of mine with several modifications.
Pink Tie [sash from my sister's old skirt], Gray Dolman Sleeve Top [Charlotte Russe/$4.00], Blue Draped MiniSkirt [Papaya/$4.00], Black Studded Braided Belt [Wet Seal/$3.00], Polkadot Socks [gift from Eva, my suitemate], Kitten Heel Cutout Pumps [Target/$10.00]
In these photos, I put on my typical ensemble of tucking a shirt into a miniskirt and belting over the skirt.  Kind of boring when I think about how many times I've done this - I like to think I'm more creative than this.  While the socks don't help in making my legs look any longer (by chopping up the "sections" of my legs), I frankly don't care since I adore them. :)
How cute are these socks?!?  I've got many more pairs to showoff, especially this awesome pair of Betsey Johnson socks that I've received as a holiday present from Eva.

As a sidenote, my Rondelet outfit was quite flattering to the shape as I think about it.  It's a real pity I didn't get many good photos in it.  But you will see the shoes I wore again - they are totally awesome, if I say so myself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment