Tuesday, February 1, 2011

styling class: week 3, post 1

I've been sick with the flu the past several days so this post isn't quite up to par or where I'd like it to be.  This week we learned about the three "main" style categories: classic, bohemian, and minimalism.  While modern fashion, at least the type I like, mixes these three together in an effortless manner, I always find it refreshing when you can look at a picture an pinpoint exactly what kind of style the person was going for.  We were asked to choose 3 style icons that portray each type of style category.  All three of these icons seem to dabble in various styles, but I've chosen some of my favorite pictures that best represent each of the styles above.

Classic
I've loved Carey Mulligan since before watching An Education.  She has such a prim and proper sense of style all while staying completely modern and interesting.   I adore this dress on her - a beautiful shade, a beautiful cut, all properly belted and accessorized.  Her amazing pixie cut helps some too.

Bohemian


I confess - I used to think Miroslava Duma to be really overrated.  Sure the girl dresses well - but she has the body and the clothes and the job.  I'd be surprised if she looked like a wreck all day.  But then she became pregnant.  Once I saw how well she pulled off some pieces with that huge baby bump, I became a fan myself.  I love the entire assembly of this outfit - props to mixing colors and prints and textures so well. :)

Minimalist


So Diane Kruger isn't really a minimalist, but she definitely makes some minimalist choices, such as this dress for the Met Ball above.  Being a not-so-minimalist dresser myself, I'm surprised that this dress is hands-down one of my favorite red carpet dresses of all time.  It has such a clean, sleek quality to it, and she pulls it off so well.  The cut is so severe, and the color is possibly really unflattering on anyone else, but it looks great all together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment