Monday, February 14, 2011

styling class: week 5, post 1

A big apology to this blog for not updating it for so long.  When I feel sick and gain five pounds because of eating a lot to get better and not exercising for two weeks, I suddenly become a lot interested in wearing pretty clothes.  I really admire plus size models for working their body shape, because oftentimes, if I don't look and feel my best, I feel a lot less confident in how my clothes look on me and my ability to style around my flabby arms and legs and stomach pudge. :(  So with that said, no more outfit posts again! I promise promise some photos soon though.  Meanwhile, this week, Deanne had us polyvore (using as a verb, yes) our ideas of classic, bohemian, and minimalist looks.  Speaking of minimalism - I'm really starting to like the whole streamlined classic minimalist look - must buy some skinny ties soon. :)

Classic:

Classic


My take on classic style is a bit more girly and colorful than the conventional by-the-textbook classic style.  I really like the structured and tailored lines of vintage Chanel but also the vibrant colors and patterns of modern day classics that Blair Waldorf wears so well.  I'm loving lady-like pumps, shift dresses, a-line skirts, shift dresses, crisp shirts, tailored blazers, and nude makeup for a classic look.  I feel that this might be who I am at heart - even when I experiment with different looks and trends - this is what I come back to.

Bohemian:

Bohemian


The bohemian style is one that I love to experiment with every now and then.  I tend to do more of this in the summer, when its 100 degrees outside and all I feel like putting on is a loose flowy maxi dress or a lightweight shirt and dress.  Then I let chunky heels, colorful tribal bangles, colorful nail polish, and printed fabrics do the trick of making an outfit less boring.  I'd love to experiment with the bohemian style more in the winter though - when it's all about piling layers over layers.  Note to self: must get super chunky knit scarf.

Minimalism:

Minimalism


I've been recently more drawn to the minimalism look, which is quite surprising since I'm quite the accessorizer.  Sometimes, nothing is better than a clean, crisp, look.  I also find that I can experiment most with different cuts and construction when sticking to a single or two colors.  It definitely makes me feel less self-conscious when stepping out in a weird outfit concoction.  If only I were Susie Bubble.  But with that said, I see crisp white button downs and trouser shorts, and "flat", "smooth-surfaced" shoes and vests and other clothing items like above.  I love nail polish - and either a black, dark maroon, dark blue, or nude would work really well with my perspective of minimalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment