Wednesday, March 2, 2011

styling class: week 7, post 2

A second part of our assignment this week is to watch runway shows and give our own opinions.  When it comes to fashion, I consider myself an expert with blogs, a jack with magazine spreads/editorials, but pretty much a loony with runway and designers.  Granted, I'm familiar with the famous ones and several contemporary/independent designers, but rarely do I follow them consistently season to season.  Deanne (or anyone that's reading this), please send me designer suggestions for inspiration!

I did, however, force myself to sit through one full-length Youtube show of 3.1 Phillip Lim.  I was unimpressed.  Maybe I just don't like the direction he's taking in the past few seasons.  He used to be a favorite.  Now, I'm not so sure anymore.  Then, admittedly, I cheated and just scrolled through photos on Style.com.  I tend to prefer S/S shows to F/W shows, just because the floaty fabrics, light and drapey material, and soft prints really catch my eye.  While I'm one for muted jewel tones - most F/W shows are too...frumpy...maybe edgy (?)...and just too drab and depressing for me.  I did manage to find two that I like though.

1. Alice & Olivia F/W 2011 RTW


Image on the left - I love the neutral palette, but also the variety of textures that make up this palette.  The patchwork tweed skirt against the gray fringey-fur top makes a bold yet not over-the-top statement, and I love how the loose black cardigan finshes the outfit off.  For the outfit on the right, who says winter can't have color?  The skirt is actually very spring-y, but only with what appears to be heavy fabric.  I'm also loving the blitz and bling that's very obvious on the shirt, but less on the jacket.  Shows that sparkle can be worn during the day and past the holidays.

2. Jason Wu F/W 2011 RTW


So I'm not really understanding the black-lacey thing over the head - but I'll just attribute that to the part of Jason Wu's mind that we're not supposed to get. :)  I don't think I'd dare to wear the top-half of the outfit on the picture to the left, but I'm loving the 70s-halter style with the black sheer lace and the ruffle by the neck.  It gives the sheerness a sense of class.  And I'm a sucker for this mustardy-chartruesey color despite it looking quite awful against my skin.  For the picture on the right, I'm loving this update on the LBD.  I'm totally thinking of layering my white jersey skirt under a black dress now to give it the same look.  Maybe it's the influence of my mom, but I'm loving simple, clean, sleek lines.  She's definitely a structural minimalist but very opulent with the colors and patterns of clothing.

3. J.Crew S/S 2011 RTW



This line was all the buzz when it came out last fall, and for once, I did not mind the buzz.  I clicked on links that featured this collection over and over again.  Everything looked so bright, so cheery, so cute, and perfect for a petite person like me.  Words can't express how much I love this one collection by J.Crew.  It made me want to try out new color combinations, new silhouettes, and new ways of wearing the same clothes.  It's certainly not as inventive as most designer collections, but it gave me the inspiration I needed - and continues to give me inspiration everytime I look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment