Friday, March 25, 2011

styling class: week 10, post 1

I unfortunately had to miss class this past week, and even more unfortunately it was editorial talk! :(  But nevertheless, hopefully my view on Western/Eastern editorials isn't too different from what was presented in class.  From what I observed, more high fashion western magazines such as Vogue and Bazaar include spreads that feature fashion as a lifestyle as an artform whereas their eastern counterparts feature fashion as coveted garments.



First picture is from the May 2010 issue of French Vogue, where as the second is from the July 2010 issue of Vogue Korea.  Pretty damn near impossible to be wearing on the street vs.  I would totally wear that to the beach.  I'm sure there are exceptions here and there, but I do feel this is a general trend.  I also have to admit I associate "cute", "feminine", "pretty" with eastern editorials and "classy", "edgy", and "avant garde" with western editorials.  I'm sure this is just a bias in opinion, but I do continually see evidence of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment